Apartment Searching TipsPublished: August 11, 2022
Whether you’re moving down the street, across the country, or recently calling Canada home, searching for an apartment can be both exciting and, at the same time, overwhelming - especially in a rapidly changing rental market. A lot goes into searching for a new home, from searching for your dream neighbourhood to must-have amenities and so much more.
To help out, we’ve put together a list of helpful apartment searching tips for first-time renters.
1. Start looking early and be flexible with possession dates.
As a rule of thumb, renters should start searching for available apartments one to two months before moving out. If you wait too long, your options may be limited
2. Research and compare all your provider options for personal fit, stability, desired amenities, services, and reviews.
We recommend creating a list of "must-haves" vs "nice-haves". When you're putting together a list of "must-haves", consider making the neighbourhood one of them.
3. Take every opportunity to visit your future home in person and tour the community to avoid any future disappointment.
The best time to ask questions about an apartment is when you first see it. Touring the community in person gives you a chance to see if the building and the management company are the right fit.
4. Be respectful and expect the same from your provider. First impressions are essential.
There is always competition in the rental market, and making a great first impression is always worthwhile. Be prepared, and remember to print a copy of your rental application with you. If you cannot make an appointment, be sure to call to reschedule as soon as you know.
5. Be sure to secure and confirm your appointment as things change quickly from day to day. You will likely be asked to fill out an application and provide a security deposit.
Finally, this is a very important life step so ask as many questions as you need to. At Boardwalk, we are always happy and willing to help you find your perfect home and always strive to be at our friendliest.